Saturday, August 29, 2009

Low Calorie Margarita

Transkei ... Anecdotes

Seeking the path of Manzamnyama after Mpame - on foot. As long as long, they say. I am following the vague directions, follow the trail of the lost sometimes between the stones and hills and then somewhere 4 spuring reappears and then branches off to the left and right. Rachel in the usual manner, I get lost at least 3 times and I come first on the wrong road completely get out of the thicket. Ah, that's not the way to Mpame? Ah, more to the left, thank you. And again, walk over the hill, over hill and dale. I follow a steep trail down the hill, and then a gap before me, densely covered with woods and bushes, and I know already that I am again taken a wrong turn - this is no way safely through. And so I turn around and stalk back up the hill, and - oops! What could be lazy and cozy on the way, does not remove a step, I almost trampled? A snake. She does not roll. It is light gray, with black and brown pattern, a very beautiful snake, and I think moment, so I have yet seen one already times, is perhaps the most toxic? For a while we stare at us, then I take a step backwards, and then to the side, and go past the snake, which nachschaut me curious. (I found out later that there is a Night Adder, yep, poisonous, but not tödlilch).

Finally I find the right way - he leads through the forest. Just outside the forest I met an old couple. We exchange the usual phrases of greeting, but the woman, small, wrinkled, blind in one eye and with a chicken under his arm, comes up to me and shakes my hand and kisses my hand and pressed it again, and talks incessantly. I do not understand a word until she asks me where I go, and where I come from. These questions I know, and I respond patiently and smile and point the finger on the coastal strip, where is my house. Finally lets go of me and the wife zockelt on, but now is the old man questions in a loud, commanding moderate tone. I repeat, "I do not understand" over and over until I say guess what he wants and explain again where I come from and where I go. Now he seems happy and smiles and turns to go to. As the old woman calls me again, "come here" she calls out, this time in English. I hesitate a Moment, I think, why not, and go to her. She looks at me (she's at least a head shorter than me) and then pushes me 10Rand in hand. I am completely puzzled and ask, whaaat for me? "She nods and taps his fingers on my shoulder and says, yes, yes for you. I know that the woman is poor, and I do not need their money, but I can not refuse the gift, that would be rude. And so I call, thank you Mom, (all women who are older than I am to be addressed as Mama) and hug them spontaneously. Me patting his back and is happy that I accepted her gift and waddles like this, lifts her chicken again and is on his way home.

That's Transkei. Where lazy snakes do not even bother to make a go out of the way and give a complete strangers 10Rand. Later, when I am with Tony in the shop and tell him the story, he says, ah, the two folks were just here in the shop to pick up their pension. These people have virtually nothing, and still share.

From project is not much to tell, Aidan was a week flat, and now we were a couple of days in Cintsa where I stayed until the Beetle, and have tried again as a mechanic - this time no results . Today or tomorrow we go back to Manzamnyama, and next week will then reflect Project News.

0 comments:

Post a Comment